Skip to content

Tag: dress

Asymmetrical Neckline Dress Muslin

Another item on my ever growing sewing to-do list – I’ve made a working muslin for this Burda 7514 dress. And in true Dixie fashion I used (count em!) 5 different kinds of fabrics for this baby. Oh, and please ignore my poor sewing – it is just a muslin, after all. Room for a side zipper under the arm. I was bad and didn’t bother copying the marks from the pattern pieces to my…

Read more

Yellow Chevron Dress

As promised, here is my new finished dress. It is a knee length pullover dress with an elastic waist (here worn with a belt), buttons on the upper front and diagonal chevron style folds on the top front that are sewn down so they lay flat. I originally made this dress design about three years ago but now I cannot find that dress (must be lost in the garage, I believe). It was inspired by…

Read more

Lisette Copy Dress (based on Simplicity 2209)

I’m having a little ethical dilemma regarding this dress. So let me explain. Simplicity has a new line of patterns called Lisette. One of which includes this dress, a pretty simple design with a pleated a-line skirt, scoop neck and cross over pleats on the bodice at the waist. Now, I intended to buy the pattern a couple weeks ago when Joann had their $1.99 sale on Simplicity Patterns but for whatever reason I didn’t….

Read more

Strapless floral dress – McCall’s M5849 (out of print)

I made this dress over a year ago but stuffed it in the back of the closet for a reason I’ll tell you later. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like the dress itself. The pattern is an out of print Hilary Duff (go figure) McCall’s pattern which I really enjoyed. It was the first time I ever attempted a garment that used boning and I liked working with something new. The pattern itself was…

Read more

Mad Men inspired shift dress

Usually I buy a pattern first and then look for fabric to go with it. This time it was the other way around. I found this cute 50s style Alexander Henry cotton fabric. It’s more of a quilting fabric than fashion but I liked it and paired it up with this pattern. At first I thought I’d make the version with cap sleeves but for some reason I cut the sleeveless top piece and thought…

Read more

Floral Jersey Dress

I’ve been doing a lot of sewing lately and feeling inspired. Here’s one of my finished projects. It is hard to find good printed jersey fabric, at least around here. I found the fabric at Joann and paired it up with this Cynthia Rowley pattern. The pattern was surprisingly easy. I also used knit interfacing for the first time. I think the dress turned out pretty nice and super comfy.

Read more

First dress of the summer

Thanks to Justin’s mom I finally got the hang of proper gathers. I realized now what I was doing wrong – pulling both strings instead of just one. I’m surprised how well this dress turned out although I believe it turned out so well mostly because I followed the directions almost perfectly and only had one tiny minor slip up (a major first). I used Simplicity Pattern 2587. Cost: $10 for the fabric, on sale,…

Read more
Sidebar