Skip to content

Striped Tulip Skirt

It seems like everyone loves this Cynthia Rowley tulip skirt pattern (as a side note, yes, I do sew other things besides Cynthia Rowley patterns).

I used this pattern before but to my dismay it turned into a big fat mess. I made the mistake of trying to use a wool (it was a thin wool, I swear) and trying to line it. Too bulky. Another time I used a fabric that was way too slippery for me to work with. I know better now than to go against the fabric recommendations.

This go around I used a cool striped Denyse Schmidt fabric I got at Stitch Lab here in Austin. I took my time with this one and I am quite proud of the result. I had to fix parts of the bias binding on the edges, though. The bias wasn’t sewn on the fabric as best as it should have been and frayed fabric edges were peeping out. But that was an easy fix.

The necklace is a pottery piece that I bought from fellow Austinite, Gem Junkie, and I strung it on a silver chain. Easy peasy and less than $6!

All in all this one is a winner, even if it did take me three times to do it right. It is also quite a popular pattern. I’ve seen several versions of it around the web.

Peanut didn’t really want to be in the pictures. She just wanted to watch. Silly kitty.

Comments (4) for post “Striped Tulip Skirt”

  • Oh, I don’t believe it. I’ve just cut the pieces for this pattern out of, (wait for it….) yes,a lightweight wool (picture on my blog) and I too have ignored the fabric reccommendations! I’m worried it won’t work now! (wasn’t going to line it though) Any tips for the bias on the waistband???
    Miss P

  • When I tried with wool I wanted to line it because I thought the wool would be too itchy. Bad idea – the lining made it so bulky the skirt would never lay flat.

    It might help to cut the top portion of the skirt pieces narrower (I hope that makes sense) so that there will be fewer gathers at the waistband and therefore less bulky. My wool gathers started to puff out because they were so bunched together.

    As for bias binding, perhaps you could you a slightly thicker binding which would cover over more of the raw edge. That was my problem – the bias was only a few millimeters thick and the stitching over it didn’t always catch the frayed edge encased inside the bias. Otherwise just be very careful with pinning.

    good luck!

Leave a Reply to dixie Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SidebarComments (4)